In addition to obesity, here are some of the chronic medical problems associated with too much sugar in your diet:
- Heart disease
- Hormone problems
- Autoimmune disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome and spastic colon
- Decreased immune function
- Chronic sinusitis
- Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia
- Pain of many types
- Candida and yeast infections
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
Eating or drinking 100 grams (8 tbsp.) of sugar, the equivalent of about two cans of soda, can reduce the ability of white blood cells to kill germs by forty percent.
The immune-suppressing effect of sugar starts less than thirty minutes after ingestion and may last for five hours or longer, leading to things like colds and the flu.